Friday 10 October 2014

Surfing the Literacy Wave - NZLA Conference

In the September school holidays I was lucky enough to attend the 2014 NZLA Conference in Tauranga. I would like to thank NZLA and TTLA for providing me with such a valuable professional development opportunity. It was a very worthwhile experience and I went away buzzing with ideas on how I could further improve my classroom literacy practice. It also enabled me to gain an insight as to how the national literacy conferences are organised and run. As a result I have a better understanding of how I can contribute to organising the 2016 NZLA Conference, in Northland.

Two keynote speakers that stuck out for me were Dr Mere Berryman and Rob Southam. Merry Berryman spoke about enjoying education success as Maori: a home school approach to learning and literacy. Mere reminded us that no matter what background a child comes from, every child arrives at school with skills. We need to consider how we value these skills, rather than saying that a child comes to school with ‘nothing’ or very few experiences. Having heard similar comments time and time again, as well as previously teaching children from lower socioeconomic backgrounds made her words really hit home for me. Another gem of Mere’s was when she shared about providing students with responsive feedback, where you initially only respond to the message in their story instead of any punctuation and spelling errors. The importance of positive teacher-student and home-school relationships were also a focal point of her keynote.

Rob was a fantastic keynote speaker and even more exceptional considering she was asked to present on the morning of the conference, due to Stephen Graham been unwell. The content she shared was light, but inspiring. She spoke about the latest trends in children’s publishing, shared a smorgasbord of books to hook young readers in and touched on the importance of correctly teaching reading strategies. The fact that Minecraft has motivated so many of our reluctant readers to read more, especially boys, was also mentioned. This is something I’ve personally noticed in my own class too. 


My purpose for attending this year’s NZLA Conference was to gain a better insight as to how I could further improve my writing programme in my year 4 classroom, as well as to take away ideas around improving student engagement with my reluctant readers and writers. I felt that the ideas needed to be fresh, practical and have some evidence to support their success in the classroom. Louise Sherrington’s workshop around building reading stamina during independent reading sparked a few ideas for me and really got me thinking about how I can support my struggling readers to build their stamina. Louise is a literacy coach in the Gold Coast, as well as a friend of Sheena Cameron’s. She shared how reading stamina wasn’t only important in the classroom, but that she also believed kids are failing tests because of a lack of reading stamina. Louise talked about how we shouldn’t expect that all children can simply sit down and read for thirty minutes. She compared it to how you wouldn’t expect an adult to run a marathon, if they struggled to run for ten minutes. It takes time, effort and practise. Louise shared a variety of practical strategies to improve children’s reading stamina. Some of which I am looking forward to trialling in my own class.

Gay Gilbert’s workshop was the presentation that I personally got the most out of during the conference. Her topic was called Picture the Writing. Gay enthusiastically shared her experiences of running an integrated visual art and literacy programme – something she did for years. Immediately I thought of my target group of writers, all students who love art. Something that I know I am guilty of not making enough time for in the classroom.

Gay gave examples of ‘hook ins’ she had used over the years e.g. taking a live chicken into school, putting jam on the concrete and watching the ants come out of the cracks to eat the jam, observing a praying mantis or a group of snails, swinging on the swings while closing your eyes, taking kids out in the rain with raincoats on. Straight away I noticed that all of her ‘hook in’ activities were hands on and authentic; that also enabled all students to have a shared experience. During, or straight after the activity children would sketch pictures. Criteria was co-constructed and set for the sketches, as well as the major art piece. Different media was used for different art projects. Close up photographs were also taken and put on display for further reference. For example when the chicken was taken into the class close up photos were taken of its different body parts e.g. feet, beak, wing and feathers.

In Gay’s classroom reading, writing and visual art all dovetailed together. Narrative and personal writing runs through their school like a heartbeat. ‘We can’t give children rich lives, but we can give them the lens to appreciate the richness that is already there” by Lucy Carkins. Other genre such as explanation is only taught when it’s relevant. She was very passionate about not forcing genre and teaching it where it didn’t fit. Gay often told her children not to over egg the pudding, referring to too many over the top, fluffy language features. She will also scribe for children for five minutes, when needed. Gay doesn’t only do it for the lower learners, but for the top end learners too. She’s found this to be a very successful strategy to get boys moving with their writing.

There are so many inspiring ideas to take away from the 2014 NZLA Conference, but to start with I will be focusing on introducing the following things:

  • Using strategies to support my target readers in building reading stamina.
  • Integrating visual art into my writing programme.
  • Making a genuine effort to spark excitement in writing by using hook in activities that are authentic, vivid and sensory experiences.
  • Being a scribe for children when needed, for a maximum of five minutes.
  • Reading more children’s books, myself. This will enable me to not only listen to the children buzz about their books, but to contribute as well.
  • Tracking down a copy of ‘The Day the Crayons Quit’, by Drew Daywalt and reading it to my class. 




An example shared by Gay Gilbert, during her workshop - Picture the Writing



No comments:

Post a Comment