Sunday 25 May 2014

Reaching Out Through Literacy

Yesterday I presented a workshop at a conference (TTLA) for the first time. This is something that I never thought I would do in a million years. I'm a lot better at sharing my ideas via blogging, than presenting. However; I'm always telling my students to take risks with their learning so when I was asked to present I decided it was time to move outside my comfort zone and give it a go. 



Both Marcus Akuhata-Brown and Dorothy & Russell Burt were amazing keynote speakers. If you ever get the opportunity to watch either present make sure you go. Marcus spoke about the glass lids of low expectations as well as sharing his own personal story. It was the second time I had seen Marcus speak, but once again I left the keynote teary eyed. As Marcus shared, we all need to remember Gandhi's words - 'be the change you want to see in the world'.

I presented in the first workshop session, but attended Russell Burt's workshop about organising learning and teaching in a digital environment, in workshop two. I got a lot out of the workshop, as he shared some very practical ideas. He also talked about how learning needs to be visible - for everyone! They use Google sites for most of the organisational aspects in their school. This is something. As Russell said, 'kids want to be able to get their stuff and get it quickly, just like we do'. I plan to further explore Google sites and see how I can best use them within my own classroom.

Dorothy and Russell wrapped up the day by sharing Point England School and Manaiakalani cluster's journey on how they've 'ReTooled' school to make it more engaging, empowering and successful for everyone involved. What they've done from the grassroots up is inspirational. You can view their website here if you're interested in finding out more - http://www.ptengland.school.nz/ 



I feel so privileged to be able to say that I presented at the same conference as these amazing presenters yesterday and to be part of the TTLA committee. So where to next? Two bus trips to visit schools in Auckland (including Point England) later this term, a presentation at the TFT (Teachers for Teachers) AGM, organising Educamp for Tai Tokerau and beginning initial planning for the 2016 NZ Literacy Association Conference that we're hosting in Northland. Lots to think about, but lots to be excited about too. 

Here's a storify of the day put together by +Catriona Pene 


No comments:

Post a Comment